On February 7, 2002, the Village Council adopted Ordinance 02-14, which established Division 7. - "Historic and Archaeological Sites" of Article VII of the Village Code. Through this ordinance, the Village Council declared a matter of public policy that the protection and enhancement of properties of historic, cultural, archaeological, and architectural merit were in the interests of the health, prosperity, and welfare of the people of the village. Subsequently, the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) was established by Resolution 03-05-25 and adopted by the Village Council on May 22, 2003. The HPC is a governmental agency of the Village and is vested with the authority to make recommendations to the Village Council on the designation and regulation of village historic structures within a designated historic district and landmarks within the incorporated area of the Village pursuant to Section 30-1693 of the Village Code.
The Commission consists of five (5) members who are appointed by the Village Council and one staff liaison. The HPC meets quarterly on Wednesdays at 4:00 PM and may meet more frequently if needed. The current commission is comprised of the following members: