If you have a question that is not addressed on this page, please contact
Susan McLaughlin, Software Administrator/Training & Customer Support,
at or 305-363-8029.

Why register for CityView Portal?

How do I register for CityView Portal?

Contractor License Registration (Required to do work in the Village)

Contractor License Renewal (Required Annually)

How do I link portal accounts?

I can't find my Building Permit or Planning Application?

Where can I find forms?

How do I electronically sign and notarize my forms and documents?

How do I submit a Building Permit Application?

How do I save my application for later?

How do I pay fees on an existing application?

How do I obtain my Permit Card?

How do I request a building inspection?

How do I cancel an inspection request?

How do I submit Corrections or Additional Documents?

How do I upload documents?

How do I add a contact to an electronically submitted application?

How do I submit a Revision to my Building Permit Application?

How do I submit a Request for a Permit Extension?

How do I Renew an Expired Permit?