Islamorada, Village of Islands
Interested individuals can call the Human Resources Manager for more information at 305-664-6448 or stop by Village Hall, 86800 Overseas Hwy, Islamorada, FL 33036 to pick up an application.
Download applications here: Islamorada Employment Application.
Resumes can be faxed to (305) 664-6468 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All candidates must submit an application in order to be considered for employment with Islamorada, Village of Islands. Incomplete candidate packets can delay candidate screening and prolong the hiring process.
Full time benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance is offered by the Village, along with an initial 12 vacation days and 12 sick days annually. The Village participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) and contributes 7.92% of the employee’s annual salary.
Islamorada, Village of Islands is an Equal Opportunity Employer that provides a Drug-Free Workplace. Applicants selected for life safety positions will undergo a pre-employment drug screen.
If you need an accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in the application/selection process, please notify the Human Resources Manager at 305-664-6448.
Islamorada, Village of Islands and the State of Florida do not tolerate violence in the workplace.
Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes.
We hire only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers.
Director of Planning
The Director of Planning performs complex professional and administrative work in directing and managing the activities of the Planning Department. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Village Manager and the Director exercises supervision over all planning and development services department personnel; This position is responsible for supervising, organizing and managing the overall activities of the department, including the major functions of Planning and Zoning, Land Use, Building Regulation, and Plan Review.
The Director of Planning will be asked to review, formulate, install, manage and improve complex multidisciplinary planning and development activities for Islamorada, Village of Islands. This is highly responsible administrative and technical work directing all aspects of planning and development services for the Village. Position requires use of Village vehicle in performance of duties.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Plans, organizes, directs, and controls resources to accomplish the goals, policies and objectives of the Village Comprehensive Plan.
- Maintains and renders interpretations of Village Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Regulations.
- Directs all activities related to land use, zoning, and development approval.
- Confers with individuals, citizen groups, business organizations, consultants, governmental agencies and other Village departments and exchanges planning information on problems, changes or projections.
- Serves as representative of the Village on growth management and land development activities. Coordinates with local, state, and federal agencies.
- Serves as liaison to Village Council appointed citizen committees.
- Works with staff to review developers' plans to ensure compliance with all Land Development Codes and other Ordinances including, but not limited to zoning and building codes, environmental regulations and development policies of the Village; formulates observations based on the evaluation of the developers' plans and their compliance with applicable ordinances and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and municipal land use and zoning laws as well as the Village Code of Ordinances.
- Coordinates local comprehensive planning efforts with county, state, and regional planning officials.
- Works with department staff in preparing, promoting and implementing redevelopment plans and projects.
- Provides information and assistance concerning development regulations and procedures to developers, investors and businesses interested in development within the Village.
- Provides recommendations, guidance and assistance to the Village Manager and Village Council in formulating planning, growth management, development control and economic development policies.
- Evaluates division activities through a review of work plans, conferences and inspections.
- Evaluates the performance of department staff.
- Directs the preparation and implementation of department budgets and makes procedural and operational recommendations to Village management.
- Ensures a high level of customer service be provided by the department.
Requirements for Position:
The ideal candidate will have a thorough knowledge of general laws governing planning & zoning, including extensive knowledge of Florida’s Growth Management laws, development and zoning processes and familiarity with regulations governing the Florida Keys Area of Critical State Concern. Applicants should have thorough knowledge of planning practices and principles, economic and community development practices, growth management principles and strategic planning. In addition, candidates should have general knowledge of the principles and practices of building design and construction; land use and building construction codes; the ability to write clear and concise reports, memoranda, and correspondence; the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; the ability to manage, direct and supervise professional and administrative staff; and the ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, department heads, contractors, developers, and the general public.
Relevant experience should include eight (8) to ten (10) years of experience in managing a multi-functional regulatory agency or local government department that services the development and construction community, with expertise in land use, the Florida Growth Management Act, environmental resources, planning, construction and/or engineering. Bachelor’s degree required in Urban or Regional Planning or closely related field. A Master's degree preferred in Urban or Regional Planning or closely related field as well as AICP Certification is required.
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (10 to 30 pounds). Tasks involve sitting for extended periods of time but may involve walking and/or standing for extended periods of time. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, and visual cues or signals. Tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
PLEASE SUBMIT: Cover Letter, Resume and Application.
Part Time Facility Attendant/ Park Attendant
This is a general position in Founders Park. Responsibilities include collection of park fees, general non-maintenance care of park facilities, supervision of patrons using park facilities and enforcement of rules and regulations. Provides customer service to Park patrons and visitors.
Must be at least sixteen years of age. Must be able to comprehend written/verbal instruction. Must be able to communicate with the general public. Monitor park facilities and enforce rules and regulations. Cleans buildings and restroom facilities. General preparation of athletic fields for games, activities, and special events.
May assist in the collection of garbage, litter, and or trash from park grounds. Position requires evening, weekend, and holiday hours. Collection of fees at various park and recreation facilities including IFP entrance gate. Assist departmental staff with special events, activities, and/or programs. Greets patrons, provides information, answers telephones, and performs simple clerical duties. Assist the public in completion of registration forms, memberships, and permits. Performs other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Summer Recreation Camp Counselor
Founders Park Summer Recreation Camp will run from June 4 through July 27. 2018. Counselors will be responsible for creating & imPlementing activities for various age grouPs. as well as supervising children. Activities Include: Games. Arts & Crafts. SPorts. Movies. Board Games. Swimming at the Pool & Beach. etc
Part Time Facility Attendant -- Security
Department: Founders Park
Reports To: Park and Programs Manager
Position Status: Non-exempt (Pay Grade: 1)
This is a general position in the Parks & Recreation Department. Responsibilities include collection of park fees, general non-maintenance care of park facilities, supervision of patrons using park facilities and enforcement of rules and regulations. Provides customer service to Park patrons and visitors.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Monitor park facilities and enforce rules and regulations.
- Cleans buildings and restroom facilities.
- General preparation of athletic fields for games, activities, and special events.
- May assist in the collection of garbage, litter, and or trash from park grounds.
- Position requires evening, weekend, and holiday hours.
- Collection of fees at various park and recreation facilities including IFP entrance gate.
- Assist departmental staff with special events, activities, and/or programs.
- Greets patrons, provides information, answers telephones, and performs simple clerical duties.
- Assist the public in completion of registration forms, memberships, and permits.
- Efficient, well organized, and able to handle a variety of duties simultaneously.
- Strong team player with flexible schedule.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions throughout the year.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and effective manner to guests and residents using professional language.
- Ability to express and maintain an upbeat and enthusiastic attitude.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must be comfortable with enforcing Park Rules.
- Roving patrol on the weekends to enforce Founders Park Rules.
Requirements for Position
Must be at least sixteen years of age. Must be able to comprehend written/verbal instruction. Must be able to communicate with the general public. Bilingual is a plus.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $10.00 to $12.00 /hour
Seasonal/Part Time Lifeguards
Lifeguarding is a dynamic, challenging & rewarding job! Lifeguards are responsible for patron safety in & out of the pool and provide high quality customer service to the public at the Ron Levy Aquatic Center. Position also involves light maintenance duties and maintaining the pool chemistry.