IMPORTANT BUILDING DEPARTMENT NOTICES
Fee & Permit Extension Changes Per Resolution 19-08-56 Effective October 1st, 2019
- Resubmittal for Plan Review Corrections $25/1st two (2) pages, $10/each additional page (Up-front payment of fees required upon resubmittal.)
- Initial Plan Review by Village Wastewater Engineer $250/hour, with partial hours rounded up
- Resubmittal Review by Village Wastewater Engineer $250/hour, with partial hours rounded up
- Re-Inspection Fee $97
- Re-Open to Close Permit with Engineer Letter $97 (job finished without inspections only)
- Re-Open to Close Permit with Village Inspections $97/discipline (job finished without inspections)
- Open/Expired Permit Search: $35/hour, minimum (1) one hour per real estate parcel
- Ninety (90) Day Building Permit Extension: $50 – A limit of two (2) extensions shall be allowed for any building permit.
- One-Time (6) Six-Month Building Permit Extension - $250
- Private Provider Fee Credit: 25% of Permit Fees-Inspections OR Plan Review; 50% of Permit Fees-Plan Review AND Inspections (At Submittal of Application Only)
- After-Hours Inspections: $100/hour (3-Hour Minimum), with partial hours rounded up __________________________________________________
Reminder to All Registered Contractors: Local Business Tax (Occupational License) Renewal Deadline was SEPTEMBER 30, 2019
Monroe County Local Business Tax Receipts/Occupational Licenses expire on 9/30/19.
Renew with Monroe County (or your local county)
Submit a copy to the Building Department by one of the methods listed below:
a) Uploading to your contractor file via CityView web portal
b) Sending via fax to 305-664-6469
c) Emailing to email@example.com
d) Submit to Building Department
Please note that failure to renew and update records
will result in being unable to schedule inspections and have permits issued.
Incomplete Permit Applications and Submittal Packages Will Not Be Accepted
Please note that incomplete permit applications and submittal packages will not be accepted. All required information must be listed on the permit application including each section for the Property Owner, Contractor, Agent, and Property Information (including full physical address, mile marker, lot, block, subdivision, circle the appropriate Key, parcel ID number, and alternate key), Permit Type(s) selected, Detailed Description of Work, Value of Work, Square/Linear Footage, if applicable, all applicable signatures and notarization.
BUILDING DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW
The Building Department duties are to enforce the local and state codes regarding the construction and maintenance of the buildings and structures in an impartial manner in order to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the residents of Islamorada, Village of Islands. Building Department services include:
- Intake of Building Permits,
- Building and Trade Plan Review,
- Issuance of Building Permits,
- Maintain Permit Records as required by State law,
- Inspections during Construction,
- Permit Extensions,
- Issuance of Certificates of Occupancy,
- Contractor Registrations,
- Floodplain Management,
- FEMA Inspections,
The Building Department strives to communicate and educate contractors, developers, citizens, and design professionals on Florida Building Code related issues and procedures in place to preserve the quality of life for our community.
WHEN A PERMIT IS REQUIRED
A Building Permit is required for most types of construction work within the Village. Please click this link to determine which types of projects do not require a Building Permit. If your project is not listed, a Building Permit is required.
EXPEDITED PERMITTING “WALK-THROUGH WEDNESDAYS”
Certain permits are available for expedited permitting between the hours of 9:00AM - 2:00PM every Wednesday. All applications must be complete and include all required paperwork in order for the permit to be processed and issued. Permits that qualify for “Walk-Thru” will be completed within one to two business days. Below is a list of the specific permits that qualify for “Walk-Thru” permitting:
- A/C Unit Replacement
- Change of Copy of Existing/Approved Signage
- Driveway (with no ROW)
- Electrical Service Upgrades/Replacements
- Hurricane Shutters
- Interior Renovations of Residential Structures
- Irrigation Systems
- Prefabricated Sheds
- Railing Replacement
- Renewal of Expired Permits
- Screen Room Enclosures
- Siding Replacement
- Tiki/Chickee Huts
- Window and Door Replacement
HOURS OF CONSTRUCTION
Construction hours are between 7:30 a.m. until sundown every day of the week.
To schedule an inspection, please access our CityView Portal at http://cvportal.us/CityViewPortal.
NOTE: In accordance with Chapter 713, Florida State Statutes, for improvements in the amount of $2,500 & over, (exception only for repair or replacement of an existing heating or air conditioning system in the amount of $7,500 & over), a Notice of Commencement shall be recorded at the County Clerk’s office. Please ensure a copy of filed Notice of Commencement has been provided to the Building Services Department prior to requesting the first inspection. Failure to provide a Notice of Commencement will result in cancellation of requested inspection.
Inspections submitted after 7:00 a.m. will be performed for the next business day. If an inspection is submitted prior to 7:00 a.m. it will be performed on the same business day. Commercial electrical inspections will only be conducted on Wednesdays and Fridays.
State-certified and registered contractors that wish to conduct work in Islamorada, Village of Islands must register with the Village by submitting all applicable documentation found on the Contractor Registration Checklist.
When contracting for home repairs or improvements it's important to proceed with caution. Hiring an unlicensed contractor can result in other consequences including additional damage to your property. A licensed contractor has the necessary education, skills, and expertise to perform the work, and has also acquired the insurance protections his license requires. To verify a contractor’s State license or file a complaint against a State licensed contractor, call 1-850-487-1395 or visit www.myfloridalicense.com. You may contact the Monroe County Licensing Coordinator at 305-289-2583 to inquire if a contractor is properly licensed with the County or if you want to obtain a Certificate of Competency with Monroe County.
FORMS OF PAYMENT
The Building Department accepts checks, money orders and cash. Credit Cards payments are accepted through the CityView portal.
Permit Service Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday
Permit Service Hours on Fridays: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Address: 86800 Overseas Highway, Islamorada, FL 33036
Under Florida Law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Building Services Coordinator
Part Time Office Clerk
Senior Plans Examiner/Inspector
Chief Building Official